Wolfpack Weeds Team » Dr. David W. Monks
Dr. David W. Monks
Assistant Director of Research, NCARS
Department of Horticultural Science
160 Kilgore Hall, Box 7609
North Carolina State University
Raleigh, NC 27695-7609
Responsibility and Area of Specialty:
Extension and research responsibilities for weed management in vegetable and small fruit (blueberries, brambles, grapes, and strawberries) crops. Research interests include weed/crop competition, weed ecology, weed management in no-till and conventional vegetables and herbicide efficacy, residue and carryover studies. Research interests also include developing alternative methods (i.e. living mulch) to herbicides for weed management.
- Ph.D. 1985 University of Arkansas
Selected Peer-Reviewed Publications
- Meyers, S.L., K.M. Jennings, J.R. Schultheis, and D.W. Monks. 2010. Interference of Palmer amaranth (Amaranthus palmeri) in sweetpotato. Weed Sci. 58:199-203.
- Meyers, S.L., K.M. Jennings, J.R. Schultheis, and D.W. Monks. 2010. Evaluation of flumioxazin and s-metolachlor rate and timing for Palmer amaranth (Amaranthus palmeri) control in sweetpotato. Weed Technol. In press.
- Dittmar, P.J., K.M. Jennings, D.W. Monks. 2010. Response of watermelon to rate and timing of imazosulfuron. Weed Technol. 24:127-129.
- Norsworthy, J.K., M.J. Oliveira, P. Jha, M. Malik, J.K. Buckelew, K.M. Jennings and D.W. Monks. 2008. Palmer amaranth and large crabgrass growth with plasticulture-grown pepper. Weed Technol. 22:296-302.
- Pekarek, R., D.W. Monks, P.V. Garvey, K.M. Jennings, A.W. MacRae. 2010. Effect of sulfentrazone herbicide on vegetable follow-crops. Weed Technol. 24:20-24.
- Dittmar, P.J., D.W. Monks, J.R. Schultheis and K.M. Jennings. 2008. Effects of Postemergence and Postemergence-Directed Halosulfuron on Triploid Watermelon (Citrullus lanatus). Weed Technol. 22:467-471.
- Sydorovych, O., C.D. Safley, R.M. Welker, L.M. Ferguson, D.W. Monks, K. Jennings, J. Driver and F.J. Louws. 2008. Economic evaluation of methyl bromide alternatives for the production of tomatoes in North Carolina. HortTech. 18:705-713.
- Buckelew, J. K., D. W. Monks, K. M. Jennings, G. D. Hoyt, and R. F. Walls, Jr. 2006. Eastern black nightshade (Solanum ptycanthum) reproduction and interference in transplanted plasticulture tomato. Weed Sci. 54:490-495.
- Norsworthy, J. K., M. J. Oliveira, P. Jha, M. Malik, J. K. Buckelew, K. M. Jennings, and D. W. Monks. 2007. Palmer amaranth and large crabgrass growth with plasticulture-grown Capsicum annuum. Weed Tech. 22:296-302.
Revised August 19, 2010.